Sunday 14 June 2009

Is your baby on crack?

A mother of two baby boys confides: 'I'm glad his baby acne cleared up, because he looked like a little crackhead when he was all crying and spotty. He was a little bit harder to love'.

Don't call the social workers, I think she was joking. But you can almost hear the collective intake of breath. A mother feeling anything but endless love for her child? A barbaric concept for purists, a familiar one for actual parents everywhere - every frazzled, red-eyed, pissed-on last one of them.

Another mother, of six- and 15-year-olds, stares coldly across a restaurant table when someone suggests that every parent imagines throwing their child out of a window at least once. 'I've never even imagined that', she replies, 'and I never would'.

Is it wrong to think dark thoughts? Of course not. As long as you don't do them. We've all imagined doing nasty things to school bullies, bad bosses and Ashley Cole - it doesn't make us bad people.

I still find Luca impossible to be angry or annoyed at, but I know the day will come. And if staying in touch with my dark side helps get through the tough times, so be it.

Am I evil? Before you judge me, ask yourself this: Could you love an angry crack baby ALL the time?


You could? You are also on crack. Stay away from my family.

3 comments:

  1. Have you read 'We Need to Talk About Kevin'? It looks into the dark thoughts of parents. Interesting.

    I do enjoy your blog :) It's much better than that book

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got half way through that book and had to put it to one side. Daaarrrkkk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one TB, just borrowed it. I've only read the back and I'm already scared. If i don't raise a mass murderer I'll consider it a moral victory

    ReplyDelete