Sunday 26 July 2009

This book will save your life

Luca has been going to sleep on his own, and staying there, for a couple of weeks now. We have a 'routine' that seems to work: bath, play, baby lotion, big bottle of expressed milk, quick burp, bed.

If I knew how smooth this could be three weeks ago, I wouldn't have believed it. So if you have a baby, and he's being a nightmare, things will improve. Believe.

When he drifts off he takes most of our troubles with him. He sleeps, so he's happy, so we're happy, so we're relaxed, so he relaxes, and so on. The cycle continues; life broken down into the essential elements, everyone getting what they need.

And the mornings are glorious.

Me and Mum are getting time alone together, wine, beer, uninterrupted dinners, wine, telly, online poker, beer and wine. It's my perfect family scenario, like the opposite of Eastenders, with more wine.

The truth is that he's just a really good, easy baby. But my policy has always been to credit our brilliant parenting for the triumphs, and blame nature when things aren't going so well.

We also owe a small debt to Sleep: The Secret of Problem-free Nights. I had my reservations. It looks like it's from 1962, and tends to dictate rather than suggest: "From the first time he sleeps a core night, never feed your baby again during those hours."

Not even if it's 2.3oam, he's screaming like a Banshee on fire, you're too tired to know who or where you are, and he's giving a look that clearly says "Mummy, daddy, what have I done to deserve this? Why are you starving me?".

Because life's tough, son. It says so right here in this book. Bollocks. Obviously when this happened Mum just fed him.

But the book's mantra is right, and I recommend it to all new parents: babies want to sleep, and you just need to find a way to let them do it.

This means putting him down while he's still awake, and letting him go to sleep on his own. Then when he wakes up he isn't surprised by where he is, and can see himself back to sleep.

It is also about not 'rewarding' him for waking too soon. In practice, this means letting him cry and feeling like an evil bastard. But it works.

6 comments:

  1. Mate, welcome to the party. My little girl - 9 months old - has just started getting night terrors. She slept through the night from 3 months to last weekend. Enjoy while it lasts. Then buy another book.
    Niall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too true mate. About half an hour after I published this blog he actually started wailing, and took a bit of settling before he went back down, first time he's done that in ages. Obviously I'm cursing it with my overly-optimistic blog posts

    ReplyDelete
  3. what do you have for a kid who keeps the sleeping hours of a teenager but she is only 6?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy for you and your sleeping baby - whereas my little brat sleeps in our bed between us and still wakes up. our own fault.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats. And that baby's face could not be any cuter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is so cute!! I firmly believe that happy babies are well-rested babies! I also believe that as soon as you brag on your kids on the internet they are going to prove you wrong! Like when I post on my blog that my 4yo had finally stopped wetting at night...and then I spent the next week changing her sheets in the middle of the night, every night!

    ReplyDelete